5.13.2009

Hats Off to Our Grads

I was at the Stockyards in Ft. Worth this past weekend and about 50 energetic seniors from a nearby high school were posing on steps for some funny senior photos. They were chatting and laughing. You could easily sense that Graduation was at hand.

Graduation impacts all of us in some way. You may have students in your youth group graduating from high school this year or a church member who’s receiving a seminary degree.

Most important of all, you may have or know of a little one graduating from Kindergarten this year!

Whatever the case, Graduation is significant for new beginnings. A new road awaits you. Change is in the air and you’re now just a little closer to pursuing your dream or lifelong passion. In Max Lucado’s book for graduates, Let the Journey Begin- God’s Roadmap for New Beginnings, he shares an excerpt called “The Fire of Your Heart”:

Want to know God’s will for your life? Then answer this question: What ignites your heart? Forgotten orphans? Untouched nations? The inner city? The outer limits?

Heed the fire within!

Do you have a passion to sing? Then sing!

Are you stirred to manage? Then manage!

Do you ache for the ill? Then treat them!

Do you hurt for the lost? Then teach them!

As a young man I felt the call to preach. Unsure if I was correct in my reading of God’s will for me, I sought the counsel of a minister I admired. His counsel still rings true.

“Don’t preach,” he said, “unless you have to.”

As I pondered his words I found my answer: “I have to. If I don’t, the fire will consume me.”

What is the fire that consumes you?

- The Great House of God

Congrats to all the Graduates!


Digg this